Sorry you are here, but happy you found us!
There are so many things to think about after your loved one has transitioned. Here are a few things to keep in mind that you may want to consider. FIRST, ONE BREATH AT A TIME, AND A MINUTE AT A TIME.
Depending on the cause of death, you may want to seek legal assistance from an Attorney. Please make sure they are credible and reputable. Other Legal Assistance Includes:
- Attorney for Estate Planning (If you don't have one, PLEASE establish one)
- Social Security Benefits
- Military Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy (Depending on the Situation)
Support groups can be helpful because they create a space for you to unload without any judgment.
- You can cry without being told to stop.
- You can share about your loved one, without being told to move on.
- It's comforting to know that there are others just like you out there with similar stories.
Other helpful resources:
- Books, podcasts, videos, journaling, exercise (consult with your doctor first), walks, self-care, and nature.
Emotional and Mental support is incredibly important as your world has been turned upside down.
- If you have thoughts about hurting yourself, please contact the NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE AT:
- Contact your Health Insurance company to check on your mental health benefits.
- Seek professional help from a credible and reputable counselor who specializes in grief, loss, and trauma.
- If you have children who are needing help you can reach out to the
National Alliance for Grieving Children at https://childrengrieve.org
They partner with local and trusted agencies to help, your children through the grieving process.
- Make sure to make a list of all of your bills, subscriptions, account numbers, websites, usernames, and passwords on paper or an electronic form.
- Seek a knowledgeable and reputable Accountant AND a Financial Advisor that YOU feel comfortable with and have experience with the complexity of your situation.
Other things to consider that may impact your finances:
- Contact DMV
- Mortgage Company
- Health Insurance
- Auto Loans
- Property & Casualty Insurance Company
- Financial Institutions
Do all young widows automatically date right away after losing their spouse?
A popular question that society seems to have a plethora of opinions on.
Listen to the newest episode of The Embracing Widowhood Podcast Episode now available.